When you think that people are judging your smile, it’s more than just a whim or shallow assumption. Studies show that one-third of Americans say the first thing they notice is a person’s teeth. And then another data set shows that three-fourths of the population say they would trust a person with a perfect smile even more than someone with a flashy car. That says volumes given that we live in a society that is highly driven by material possessions. This leaves you longing to do something to correct your stained teeth. You want fast results, which is why your local dentist recommends professional teeth whitening. Learn more about how it works as you continue reading.
What Does Professional Teeth Whitening Involve?
Professional teeth whitening is the gold standard for delivering the crisp, bright look to your teeth that you desire. It uses powerful bleaches to penetrate and remove the stains that have been embedded in your enamel.
There are two options available from your dentist, including:
- In-Office Professional Whitening – The most effective method, in-office whitening provides dramatic results in the safest manner. Your gums and lips will be kept away from the powerful professional-strength bleaches to guard against irritation, while the whitening agents will be used to deliver long-lasting and drastic improvements to your stained teeth.
- At-Home Professional Whitening – The at-home method differs from over-the-counter alternatives in that it still uses professional strength concentrations in a safe dosage. In addition, your cosmetic dentist in Medina will instruct you as to how much to use to deliver the best and safest results. Although the improvements to your discolored teeth won’t be as immediate as with the in-office procedure, your results will still be lightyears ahead of those achieved with the kits that you can purchase from your local store.
How to Maintain Your Results
You not only want to whiten your teeth, you also want to maintain your results. Here are some simple tips to keep in mind:
- Avoid consuming foods and beverages that contain tannin, like wine, tea, curry, legumes, coffee, etc.
- Run away from tobacco. Whether you chew or smoke it, the chemicals in tobacco will wreak havoc on your newly-brightened pearly whites.
- Practice excellent oral hygiene. Not only will your dental care help to prevent tooth decay, it will also assist in removing any troublesome leftover food or drink residue that could stain your teeth.
By keeping these tips in mind, you are set to enjoy your beautiful new smile well into the future. Are you ready to run those stains away? If so, just reach out to your dentist in Medina today!
About the Author
A graduate of The Ohio State University College of Dentistry, Dr. Allen J. Milewski has been practicing dentistry in Medina since 1983. He has served as a clinical instructor at Case Western Reserve University College of Dentistry, but still remains committed to staying abreast of the latest advancements in dentistry. Dr. Milewski practices at Medina Family Dentistry and can be reached for more information through his website.