You’re completely in the right by being concerned about the swelling on the side of your face. Not to mention the constant clicking sound you can’t seem to stop no matter how carefully you try to chew your food. In fact, those symptoms show your smiles need for TMJ treatment in Medina. But wait, are you unsure of what a TMJ is and how it helps your oral structures operate correctly? Medina Family Dentistry is here to educate you on the importance of your TMJ’s and how we can help you resolve your TMJ disorder.
A Better Understanding of TMJ Disorder
One way to understand your disorder may be to get a better grip on how your TMJ’s (temporomandibular joints) contribute towards your daily activities. These joints sit on either side of your head, just in front of your ears. They play a key role in how your mouth opens and closes—an important function for both eating and speaking. Without a properly functioning TMJ, the simplest tasks like enjoying a meal or talking with a coworker can become unpleasant and painful. Common indicators of TMJ disorder include:
- Constant, serious headaches
- Difficulty opening and closing your mouth
- Persistent body pain in the head, face, or neck
- Stiffness in your jaw
- Ringing or pressure in your ears
- Sticking or clicking when opening and closing your mouth
Risk Factors of TMJ Disorder
Besides stress, many professionals have found it difficult to identify the causes of TMJ disorder. There may be many contributing factors. But, after a 7-yearlong study, scientists have discovered some consistent risk factors that you should be aware of:
- Women’s chances of developing TMJ disorder increase from ages 18-44 years old during the childbearing years (this may be due to the bodily and mental stress of birthing a child).
- Interesting enough, age wasn’t a factor for men and TMJ disorder.
- TMJ disorder patients may also have nervous system and pain control complications that contribute to their sensitivity to a variety of stimuli.
- Your genetics may be contributing to your heightened risk of developing TMJ disorder—specifically those known to influence your response to stress, psychological wellbeing, and inflammation.
- TMJ patients frequently experience many more chronic pain conditions like headaches, fibromyalgia, and lower back pain which causes extra stress on the body.
Receive TMJ Therapy in Medina from Dr. Allan J. Milewski
If you’re tired of the pain that comes with dysfunctional TMJ’s, you should be actively seeking treatment from a professional. After all, nothing good will come from neglecting the problem. Luckily, Medina Family Dentistry has two helpful treatment options for you: occlusal adjustment and occlusal splints.
The point of receiving therapy for TMJ disorder is to properly realign the jaw so your TMJ’s will properly function again. Dr. Milewski can show you daily stretching exercises to help accomplish that or in advanced cases, we can use orthodontic treatments as an effective way to intervene.
Sometimes, patients may uncontrollably move their jaws when their sleeping. This can cause damage without you even knowing it and be contributing to your TMJ disorder. We can create a custom oral appliance for you to not only adjust your jaws but protect your teeth from the extra stress of teeth grinding.
Are you ready to relieve your TMJ pain? Contact our office to meet with Dr. Milewski for a consultation and discuss the best treatment options for you.