Summer is here! I hope you are planning some time to relax, and maybe even get away for a bit! But remember, don’t take a vacation from good dental hygiene! The following tips will make sure you return from your travels with great memories and a great smile!
- Driving on vacation this summer? Remember to choose healthy snacks, staying away from high sugar drinks and food.
- Travel size toothbrushes are easily found in the drugstores. But not all toothbrushes are created equal. Find one with soft bristles and a rounded edge that won’t injure your gums. And brush! Twice a day!
- If you are flying, remember the new restrictions for carry on toiletries! Travel sizes of tooth paste and mouthwash are readily available in drugstores and easily carried.
- A vacation from work doesn’t mean a vacation from flossing. I recommend flossing once a day, yes, even on vacation!
- If you have a dental emergency while on vacation, the local hospital or dental society can be very helpful in referring a dentist for emergency care. I can always be reached by phone for advice or to answer a question. Remember, my phone number is on the back of your toothbrush we give you at your cleaning appointment, so I am always easy to find!
- If you are traveling outside of the country, it is best to have your teeth in great shape before leaving on your trip. Unfortunately, not all the countries of the world have the same standards of dental care as the United Sates. This article by the American Dental Association, Dental Care Away From Home recommends resources to help you with dental problems when traveling abroad.
- Remember, a vacation from work is not a vacation from good dental hygiene! Have fun, send us a postcard, and keep smiling!
© Dr Allan J. Milewski, DDS All rights reserved